Why perform the Lesser Banishing Ritual of the Pentagram? (From now on referred to as LBRP) The reason why is, if enough of us perform it at the same time, a portal to Hell will open up. Easy E will escape Hell and record a brand new album, including a trap version of “Nutz On Ya Chin”. SO DO IT!!!! That’s actually never gonna really happen cause a) there is no Hell and b) if there was Easy E wouldn’t be in it, cause he was an angel!! R.I.P Easy E.
The real reason you would perform this every day, twice per day is because it will help you align yourself better with the universe and get you in contact with your higher self. It is used to clear a space of anything negative or to invoke energy into a space, especially prior to performing other rituals and it lays the foundation for more complex rituals that you may wish to explore later. You can’t run without learning to walk and this is the basics, that being said the ritual is full of information and power, so much so that even those who have been practicing the LBRP for decades still find it vital to their daily work.
Why a pentagram? One could study the pentagram for years and still find new levels to its beauty and simplicity, however for the sake of time I will quote the famous occultist Eliphas Levi “If it be asked how a sign can exercise that immense power over spirits which is claimed for the pentagram, we inquire in turn why the Christian world bows before the sign of the Cross. The sign itself is nothing; it derives strength from the doctrine which it resumes, and of which it is the logos. Now, a sign which epitomizes by expression all the occult forces of Nature, which has always manifested to elementary and other spirits a power superior to their own, naturally strikes them with fear and respect, and enforces their obedience by the empire of knowledge and will over weakness and ignorance.”
This version of the LBRP is similar to what was taught to me when I was initiated in to my Thelemic Order, minus a few of the secrets which I took a sacred oath to protect. There are many variations of this ritual and I am in no way saying this is the definitive one. This run down is very stripped down so that a beginner can learn it. There are different schools of thought and every occultist has a few ideas of how things should be done. I recommend you read more on the subject, and decide for yourself what works best for you. The main thing is to start performing and be disciplined to continue practicing the LBRP.
This ritual has two forms, “Banishing” and “Invoking”. Use the banishing to clear a space or to clear your mind. Use the invoking to draw energy into a space or yourself. Keep a diary of your experiments, try something like banishing, then invoking, then work on some art or music, a performance or meditate.
Note: This ritual should be performed with a dagger or a wand, but you probably don’t have consecrated magical weapons, so for now use your right finger. DO NOT use an item that is not properly consecrated, like a kitchen knife or your Harry Potter wand.
Step 1: The Qabalistic Cross – Facing East
- You are going to envision yourself tracing a white cross over your body with your right hand. You should be holding a consecrated dagger in your left hand over your heart, since you don’t have one just make a fist with your left hand.
- Starting at your forehead envision that you are pulling a white light from above your head down to your forehead.
- Touch your forehead and vibrate the word “ATTAH”
- Touch your chest, envisioning the cross starting to trace down your body, and vibrate “AIWASS”
- Touch your genitals, envisioning the cross descending to the floor and vibrate “MALKUTH”
- Touch your right shoulder, envisioning the start of the upper part of the cross and vibrate “VE-GEVURAH”
- Touch your left shoulder, envisioning the completion of the cross and vibrate “VE-GEDULAH”
- Clasp your hands together in front of your chest and vibrate “LE-OLAHM”
- Lastly vibrate “AMEN”
Step 2: The Pentagrams
- Facing east with your dagger (or right index finger if you don’t have a dagger) trace a large flaming pentagram in the air. Starting at the lower left corner of the pentagram, down near your left hip, trace up to above your head, then down to near your right hip, then up to near your left shoulder across to near your right shoulder and back down to where you started. It is important to be as accurate as possible and to keep your arm straight, make it as big as possible and keep your concentration on keeping the image you traced in your mind.
- Now puncture the middle of the pentagram with your dagger and vibrate “YOD HEH VAV HEH”. It doesn’t have to be loud, but you want to project the name as if all corners of the universe can hear you.
- Holding your dagger out before you trace a line to the south, either turn on the spot or walk to the south side of the room, trace the same pentagram, puncture the middle and vibrate “ADONAI”
- Keeping your dagger out before you trace to the west, trace the same pentagram, puncture the middle and vibrate “EHEIEH”
- Keeping your dagger out before you trace to the north, trace the same pentagram, puncture the middle and vibrate “ATTAH GIBBOR LE-OLAHM ADONAI”
- Keeping your dagger out before you trace back to the middle of the first pentagram that you drew, thus completing the circle.
Step 3: Invocation of the Arch Angels
- Facing east stretch your arms out, like you are making a cross
- Element of Air, in front of you envision a massive arch angel, robed in yellow and holding a sword and say “before me” then vibrate “RAPHAEL”
- Element of Water, behind you envision a massive arch angel, robed in blue and holding a cup and say “before me” then vibrate “GABRIEL”
- Element of Fire, on your right hand side envision a massive arch angel, robed in red and holding a wand and say “on my right hand” then vibrate “MIKHAEL”
- Element of Earth, on your left hand side envision a massive arch angel, robed in black and holding a disk and say “on my left hand” then vibrate “URIEL”
- Keeping all of this imagery in your mind’s eye, the flaming pentagrams in the air surrounded by the large towering Arch Angels, you add another element, that of a hexagram (I use the unicursal hexagram) above and below you and you vibrate “FOR ABOUT ME FLAMES THE PENTAGRAMS AND IN THE COLUMN SHINES THE SIX-RAYED STAR”
Step 4: Repeat the Qabalistic cross and you are done.
For a more detailed summary of the LBRP, here is a great podcast Living Thelema by Dr. David Shoemaker. (He’s a real doctor, whoa!!!)- SINS